Join me for the Riverwood Square CAL 2019 series – a free crochet along. Do NOT miss out on these awesome squares that will make a gorgeous throw blanket. Over the next few months we will be crocheting simple yet stunning crochet squares. Once we are done with the squares we will join them together to make a beautiful afghan throw.
What’s a Riverwood Square Blanket you ask?
Well, let me give you the scoop!
The Story Behind the Riverwood Blanket Pattern CAL
If you follow me on social media or are subscribed to my newsletter then chances are you have seen me mention my happy place.
A couple years ago we decided we were ready for a change. We bought some property about an hour and a half away from where we live and spent many happy hours fixing it up and dreaming of our future there.
The more we drove out to the property the more I was motivated to put together a crochet along featuring designs inspired by that location. Just getting to spend time on the land filled my heart with excitement, peace and all of that other great stuff. My mind was more clear and I was able to focus more. The kids also loved getting to hangout and help work on the land as time allows.
More recently we realized that despite how much we loved the property it was not the perfect fit that we needed. We have found a new place to call home and we absolutely love it here. One big bonus: our son and dogs enjoy getting to play outside more!
I hope you will join me for the crochet along as I remember the happy memories on our old property, and hopefully help you to create some of your own through the process of crocheting this blanket.
Save this CAL to your crochet boards on Pinterest!
Here is the break-down to help you prepare before you begin this crochet-along. I will provide monthly updates on the progress of these afghan squares throughout the year. At the very end we will review the whole year, join the squares together and add a simple edging to the blanket if you wish.
- Bookmark this page for complete details on crocheting a multi-colored throw blanket! The links for each afghan square of the CAL will be shared in this post.
- (Highly Recommended) Be thinking of how you will lay out the squares.You may want to jot down or take pictures of which squares you will place next to each other and which direction you plan on going with the blanket, or create a note section on your smart device. Either way, keep track of your layout.
- Follow the hashtag #ACRiverwoodSquare to see everyone’s progress. Don’t forget to post and tag your own WIPs as you go! I love seeing them!
- If you get stuck and need help, or just want to share pictures of your progress: Join the American Crochet Group on Facebook.
Basic Material Requirements to Crochet a Multi-colored Blanket
Hook and Notions
- I (5.5mm) hook. Follow yarn manufacturers hook recommendations on label
- Stitch Markers (optional)
- Blunt needle
- Tape Measure
Picking Yarn for your throw
How much yarn do I need for this blanket?
You will need roughly 2,000 yards of #4 worsted weight yarn (Includes edging). NOTE: this depends on the type of yarn and hook you use. If you decide to use a different weight of yarn you will use the recommended hook size that is on your yarn’s label – just be sure your squares are the same size.
What colors should I use to crochet this throw?
Choose colors that WARMS your heart! These 10” square patterns are the perfect project for using up scrap yarn that you might have laying around! You get to select your own yarns and colors!
Colorful Crochet Modern Afghan Squares Palette Ideas
Here I chose Red Heart Super Saver in Light Sage, Cafe’ Latte, and Denim. There’s just something about these colors that warms my heart and makes me smile. My guys love these colors as well so that’s a plus in my book!
Another great thing about this crochet a-long is that you get to use up that scrap yarn in your stash! You don’t have to run to the store or wait endlessly by the door for your yarn order to arrive. How awesome is that? I mean unless you just need an excuse to buy new yarn. LOL
THESE PATTERNS WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR FREE FOR THE DURATION OF THE CROCHET ALONG. Once completed, patterns will be removed and only be available in my shops. >>Not Sure Yet<<
Here’s a brief summary of how the afghan square CAL will work:
- We are going to make twenty-four stunning, unique crochet squares that will make a gorgeous modern blanket.
- We will crochet one square per week.
- Each week I will provide a square pattern for you to use.
- If you get a few weeks behind, you can easily catch up as the squares are quick and easy to whip up.
Final Throw Size:
37 inches x 50 inches (Roughly)
What you will make in the Riverwood Square Blanket crochet along:
- 24 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm ) throw squares over 4 months
- Each Friday starting August 6, 2021 (part of September & all of October will have 2 squares per week; including joining and border)
Get Your Exclusive Copy!
>>Riverwood Throw Square eBook<<
RIVERWOOD SQUARE CHECK IN LINKS
Save this CAL to your crochet boards on Pinterest!