Happy 2016, my friends!
January kicks off our Wonder Crochet Blanket CAL where we’ll use one or more colors to create our “wonder” blanket! The Wonder Crochet Blanket Crochet Along is hosted by Crochet With Us & American Crochet Group.
You can use 2 or more colors to crochet this throw pattern, or you can choose a variegated yarn that you will enjoy admiring every time you see it. If you prefer, you can use 1 color and let the textures of the stitches make your heart sing. There is no right or wrong way to crochet this stunning blanket. We are excited to be starting this crochet pattern with you!
What’s a Wonder Blanket you ask?
Well, let me give you the scoop! In a way you could say the Wonder Blanket is like a “mystery” project. But…the Wonder Throw is designed to both keep intrigued and left wanting more. Every other week we will crochet one section of the pattern, so by early November we end up with a gorgeous textured throw blanket that sends us joy. Change colors based on how you prefer your blanket to be. If you want to change colors every section, great! If not, that’s totally fine too. We will leave those details up to you.
>> Do you love crochet alongs? SIGN UP FOR THE AMERICAN CROCHET NEWSLETTER so you don’t miss my next one! <<
Save this CAL to your crochet boards on Pinterest!
Here is the break-down to help you prepare before you begin this crochet-along. I will provide monthly updates on the progress of each throw throughout the year. At the very end we will review the whole year and add a simple edging to each blanket if you wish.
Resources and Things You Can Do To Get Ready
- Bookmark this page for complete details on crocheting a wonder throw blanket! The links for each section of the CAL will be shared in this post.
- Follow the hashtag #CWUACWONDERCAL2016 to see everyone’s progress. Don’t forget to post and tag your own WIPs throughout 2016! I love seeing them!
- If you get stuck and need help, or just want to share pictures of your progress: Join the American Crochet Group and Crochet With Us CAL Group on Facebook, for assistance with the CAL – both groups are lovely and filled with helpful caring Crocheters who are willing to help assist each other.
Click to add this pattern to your Ravelry queue
Basic Material Requirements to Crochet a Wonder Blanket
Hook and Notions
- I (5.5mm) hook. Follow yarn manufacturers hook recommendations on label
- Stitch Markers (optional)
- Blunt needle
- Tape Measure
Picking Yarn for your throw
How much yarn do I need for this blanket?
You will need roughly 3,000 yards of #4 worsted weight yarn (Includes edging). NOTE: this depends on the type of yarn and hook you use. If you decide to use a different weight of yarn you will use the recommended hook size that is on your yarn’s label.
The yarn that we have selected for the blanket is Red Heart Soft yarn (roughly) 12 skeins of 250 yards (you decide which color/colors – some may choose stripes and some may choose a solid color)
What colors should I use to crochet this throw?
You choose which color/colors that you prefer! Some may choose stripes and some may choose a solid color. You get to select your own yarns, colors score!
Another great thing about this crochet along is that you get to use up that scrap yarn in your stash! You don’t have to run to the store or wait endlessly by the door for your yarn order to arrive. How awesome is that? I mean unless you just need an excuse to buy new yarn. LOL
WONDER BLANKET CHECK IN LINKS
THESE PATTERNS WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE FOR FREE.
Here’s a brief summary of how the throw blanket CAL will work:
- We are going to make one stunning, textured crochet throw blanket that will make you want to create another one.
- We will crochet one section on our blanket every other week.
- Every other week we will provide a stitch pattern for you to use.
- If you get a few weeks behind, you can easily catch up as the rows are quick and easy to whip up.
January 7, 2016 ~ American Crochet
January 21, 2016 ~ Oombawka Design
February 4, 2016 ~ The Stitchin’ Mommy
February 18, 2016 ~ Underground Crafter
March 03, 2016 ~ Creative Crochet Workshop
March 17, 2016 ~ Oombawka Design
April 7, 2016 ~ The Stitchin’ Mommy
April 21, 2016 ~ The Lavender Chair
May 5, 2016 ~ Underground Crafter
May 19, 2016 ~ Creative Crochet Workshop
June 2,2016 ~ American Crochet
June 16, 2016 ~ Please work up your favorite part or one of the alternating parts
July 7, 2016 ~ Please work up your favorite part or one of the alternating parts
July 21, 2016 ~ Look At What I Made
August 4, 2016 ~ Tunisian Crochet Chick
Here is a tutorial link for the crossed double (this tutorial is slightly different but should help) ~ Crossed Double Crochet Afghan
August 18, 2016 ~ Crochet Memories
September 1, 2016 ~ The Stitchin’ Mommy
September 15, 2016 ~ American Crochet
October 6, 2016 ~ The Country Willow
October 20, 2016 ~ American Crochet
November 3, 2016 ~ Creative Crochet Workshop
Congratulations for making it to the end of our Wonder Crochet Blanket CAL!